9 January 2016

Year 11: Weeks 16 & 17 (Controlled Hours 27, 28, 29 & 30)

You now have 4 hours (2 weeks) to plan and write your Evaluation (800 words). You must work independently under exam conditions.

Level 4 Success Criteria
  • Detailed evaluation of the monitoring of decisions and revisions.
  • Detailed discussion of how the brief related to research into similar media texts.
  • Detailed discussion of how the brief related to research into target audiences.
  • Excellent understanding of the forms and conventions used in the production.
  • Excellent understanding of the significance of audience feedback.
  • Excellent ability to communicate.
  • Thorough evaluation of the success of the finished media text in meeting the original brief.
  • An accurate command of appropriate medium-specific terminology.

Evaluation Prompts

Use the following 7 prompts, in order, to plan and write your evaluation.
  1. Explain the brief and the process of selecting a topic for your documentary. Explain your reasons for wanting to investigate a particular topic, perhaps briefly describing your initial ideas. State who you worked with, using their full names. How did you allocate roles to each individual?
  2. Describe the research you undertook and why you chose particular documentaries to study. Discuss their target audience and how they might appeal to those audiences (audience pleasures).
  3. Describe the forms and conventions you observed during your research and how you planned to utilise these in your own production (use medium-specific terminology).
  4. Describe the key decisions you had to make before and during your production and explain the reasoning behind them.
  5. Describe changes and revisions you made during production and post-production. Evaluate whether these had a positive or negative impact on your production.
  6. Describe the audience feedback you have received and assess its validity. How did this audience feedback help to shape your final production?
  7. Explain how successfully you think your finished production meets the original brief. What do you think is particularly effective and what would you do differently if you repeated the exercise?
Do not copy these prompts into your evaluation. Write a continuous response, making the prompts implicit. Remember, write "I" not "we" where you can.

Your original brief was;
Produce an extract from a new television programme; a documentary style report for a new current affairs programme, together with a storyboard. The sequence may include titles. Maximum length: three minutes. Each group member is expected to take on a specific role such as director, camera operator or director.

Evaluation Checklist

Use the following checklist to make sure you've got everything covered.
  • I have described any problems I had during the production process and how I overcame them.
  • I have described why I may have changed original ideas and how they were changed.
  • I have explained my choices regarding the codes and conventions (camera angles, mise-en-scene) which were included in my final production and why they were selected to be in the production and how successful they were.
  • I have explained how I attracted my target audience, making reference to my research and the types of pleasure I intended to offer my target audience.
  • I have explained how successful I was in engaging my target audience, making reference to any feedback I have received from my peers and target audience members.

Here is a marking grid suggested by another school. Use it to self-assess your completed Evaluation;


Out of Hours Learning
  • Complete all R&P elements in preparation for final submission next week (see countdown).